What is the Battery Thermal Management System?
Our Grayson Battery Thermal Management System optimises the temperature of battery modules for all applications of electric vehicles.
The Battery Thermal Management Systems have a heat and cool capability to maintain the battery cell temperature within the specified range. The system, controlled by Grayson Thermal Systems smart controller reacts to the cell temperature. Our BTMS offers cooling during fast charge periods or high ambient territories. Heating following a period of sustained low ambient in cold climates.
GTS have a standard range of rooftop mounted modules and bespoke integrated systems packaged into the vehicle chassis and body.
DRIVING CONSTANT TEMPERATURE IN THE HOTTEST & COLDEST CLIMATES – WHATEVER THE CONDITION – BTMS STANDS UP TO THE CHALLENGE
- Flexible bespoke solutions for
- Plug & play to reduce installation time and
- Fully integrated components
- High capacity heating capability offering
rapid warm up allowing batteries to reach
operating temperature quickly
- Energy saving passive ambient cooling
- Active refrigerant cooling allowing tropical
- Single unit is capable of thermally managing (or cool/heat) up to a 18m length electric bus’ typical battery packs
- Supplied fully charged, with fast coolant and
- Brushless fans, scroll compressor,
brushless pump provide long life &
- Compact Unit offering 3 step thermal
management systems – Heating / Passive
cooling / Active cooling, supplied complete
with anti-vibration mounts
- Smart box control logic with CAN standard
- High quality heavy duty multi connector
- 400V AC 3 Phase Compressor or 200V
AC 3 Phase Compressor or 400-720V DC
Compressor or 24V DC Compressor
- Built in aluminium header tank with coolant
level floats switch
- Refrigerant (R407C (optional R134a)
- Compact unit with complete thermal
- Anti-vibration mounts
- This system is delivered fully charged, no
engineer is required on site to fit
To maximise cell life, the battery manufacturers want to hold the battery at a solid state 25°C (20°C up to 35°C) regardless of ambient temperature, for example heating will operate in ambient of -30°C up to 15°C, Passive cooling will operate in an ambient of 0°C up to 20°C and active cooling will operate in an ambient 20°C up to 40°C (50°C on tropical applications).
Equally the batteries need to rise above 5°C as quickly as possible because they do not operate efficiently below this value.
Grayson have developed a 3 stage battery cooling (Primary Cool) and Heating unit which is a single BTMS for the entire back of batteries.