What is the Battery Thermal Management System?
Our Grayson Battery Thermal Management System optimises the temperature of battery modules for all applications of electric vehicles. The system maintains batteries at the optimum operating temperature to maximise output efficiency whilst prolonging life span.
The Battery Thermal Management Systems have a heat and cool capability to maintain the battery cell temperature within the specified range. The system, controlled by Grayson Thermal Systems smart controller reacts to the cell temperature. Our BTMS offers cooling during fast charge periods or high ambient territories. Heating following a period of sustained low ambient in cold climates.
Grayson Thermal Systems have a standard range of rooftop mounted modules and bespoke integrated systems packaged into the vehicle chassis and body.
DRIVING CONSTANT TEMPERATURE IN THE HOTTEST & COLDEST CLIMATES – WHATEVER THE CONDITION – BTMS STANDS UP TO THE CHALLENGE.
- Flexible bespoke solutions for maximum compatibility
- Quick Connection Plug & Play to reduce installation time and cost
- Fully integrated components maximising efficiency
- High capacity heating capability offering rapid warm up allowing batteries to reach operating temperature quickly
- Energy saving passive ambient cooling
- Active refrigerant cooling allowing tropical cooling capacity
- Brushless fans, scroll compressor, brushless pump provide long life & reliable performance
- Compact unit offering 3 step thermal management systems – Heating / Passive Cooling / Active cooling
- Efficient energy consumption while maximising cooling performance
- Smart control logic operating J1939 with CAN standard
- Compressor options: 600V DC (400V DC – 720V DC)
400V / 50Hz / 3 ph
200V / 60Hz / 3 ph
- Built in aluminium header tank with coolant level sensor or switch
- Refrigerant R134a (optional R407C) ready with new
- Compact unit with complete thermal management system
- This system is delivered fully charged with refrigerant
To maximise cell life, the battery manufacturers want to hold the battery at a solid state 25°C (20°C up to 35°C) regardless of ambient temperature, for example heating will operate in ambient of -30°C up to 15°C, Passive cooling will operate in an ambient of 0°C up to 20°C and active cooling will operate in an ambient 20°C up to 40°C (50°C on tropical applications).
Equally the batteries need to rise above 5°C as quickly as possible because they do not operate efficiently below this value.
Grayson have developed a 3 stage battery cooling (Primary Cool) and Heating unit which is a single BTMS for the entire back of batteries.